Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

12 April 2008

a WARM Welcome

me with my in-laws


After 7,000 miles and sixteen hours, James and I finally reached our final destination - Chesterfield. We were only expecting his dad to be picking us up at Birmigham Airport, but when we got to the pick-up point, his mum was also there, standing beside his dad. My hands got icy cold, not because of the weather (I will get there, trust me) but because I've been nervous about meeting Madeleine since the plane from Manila took off. I thought I had a couple more hours to shake off before I have to meet her, but as it turned out, it was actually a very pleasant thing. She had a genuine smile on her face and a red coat and black gloves in her hands, and she gave me a massive hug. Being an extremely empathetic person, I can sense if someone is genuine and if it's put on. I am glad to say that Madeleine was not to be dreaded afterall. I thought it was really thoughtful and sweet of her to find and bring Liz's coat and gloves for me to put on because she wasn't joking when she said it was freezing outside. To be honest, I thought I walked inside a freezer, I can see my breath and feel my cheeks turn like frozen meat. Without the coat and gloves, I don't know if I would have made it alive to the carpark. Both Chris and Madeleine have been really nice to me. This morning, Madeleine gave us money to buy a proper coat for me even though James said he's been paid this week and he's got money, Madeleine insisted. So far, they've set my mind in peace and really made me feel right welcome in their humble home.



THE FLIGHT

Flying over the city lights is fantastic! London was very well-lit and it was so alive, and I can't wait to see it up-close. Amsterdam airport is class. It's huge and so organised. NAIA fades in comparison. I'm also happy that the things James and I were worried about didn't happen. He was worried about our bags going past the allocated weight of 20k, and I was worried about the interrogation bit by the Immigration at Birmingham Airport. It actually went very smoothly, the Immigration officer at the desk only asked me a few easy questions and she was very nice about asking them. I was incredibly relieved after she stamped my passport :-)



SOMETHING ALWAYS HAS TO GO WRONG

Of all time, my period decided to come on the day I leave to go to the UK. Great. I was in pain, I was uncomfy and all the shit that comes with that time of the month. I had to change clothes in Amsterdam Airport, and luckily, James is such a star he'd been so patient and understanding about the whole thing. He had to carry my hand luggage to flights of steps many times and he did so without me having to ask and he did not complain one little bit. I'm so thankful that he came to travel with me otherwise it would have been worse than hell. Apart from that, it had been a good journey. I had the window seat in both flights and it was so cool to see clouds and being 32,000 feet high and the air outside got to as low as -83 degree-C. Imagine that... Actually, it felt like that at the carpark last night.. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration.



OVERALL...

Apart from missing home and worrying about my mum back home, it's good here. I've only been out once, to the supermarket which is a five minute walk from the house (10 minutes for my short legs...) so I couldn't really say much about England yet. But one thing I can say right now, their roads are lovely, and they have this system for crossing the road which is cool, cos I've always been scared of crossing the roads back home.. I only have to learn to look on the right side of the road for good starters if I am to survive out here. That, and a nice warm coat.



No comments: