Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

14 April 2008

England Diaries: Day 3

It’s 10:58AM here in England, and James has just left for work and I have the house to myself. Madeleine went out and won’t be back till 12noon, and Chris went to work. And I’ve just seen a tiny spider on the side of the microwave! Good job it’s only a small one because my safety cushion is not home at the moment. This one appears to be missing it’s eight leg, but no worries because it will regenerate in no time. Must be so good to not have to worry about losing a leg or a hand. My first wash load just finished so I have to get the clothes out of the washing machine and it looks sunny outside perhaps I could hang the clothes out to dry. It’s sunny but it’s 8 Celsius, chilly wind, anyone?

11:05AM

Great, my first attempt at washing has been successful J I have never had to wash clothes before and I felt stupid not knowing if any of my coloured clothes is not safe to wash with the rest. I’ve checked our clothes and every one seems fine. I think maybe I will put a second load of wash, jeans etc. But first I need to hang these ice cold clothes.

3:14PM

I have just finished ironing some clothes and my mother-in-law was impressed. She said I shouldn’t be too good at ironing because she sucks at it and for someone who never had to iron her own clothes, I think I did quite well.

We had dinner together, I made salad for us two, and another for Chris for when he gets home, and spam salad sandwich for James’s tea when he gets home tonight at 11PM. He has just rang me from his work, checking if I have had anything to eat yet. Good job I could honestly say yes, cos I usually just say yes anyway.

I had a good chat with Madeleine, she showed me baby pictures of James and Liz and told me some stuff about him as a young boy. She also showed me a brochure of where she works. It’s a beautiful castle and she said she will take me there one of these days when she is not working. She got me two kinds of lip balms which was nice. My lips are drier than the deserts of Africa. Honestly, my lips look like shite. But they smiled when I saw hail this afty. It’s cool to see droplets of ice fall on the grass beds of the garden.
I have a right bad sorehead right now so I think I’m gonna take a lie down and write more later if there is anything to write at all.

I rang the Job Centre hotline today to inquire about getting a National Insurance Number which is required to be able to work in the UK. The girl who spoke to me decided that I did not need an interpreter and got me an appointment on the 28th of April. So I have two weeks doing absolutely nothing. Great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you know, I read your England Diaries most avidly for reasons which are quite obvious.

Congratulations for your successful first attempt at washing [any wool garment that shrunk afterwards because of the hot rinse? Joke :=)]

I am wholeheartedly pleased that you and your mum-in-law are getting along famously. It helps a lot in alleviating my mother-hen sentiments.

Now, I had to laugh when I read that part about you not needing an interpreter at the Job Centre for your appointment.

But I'd be gracious and forgive the person you spoke to for even saying that, that you wouldn't need an interpreter; for how could the person know that you had been an English interpreter yourself for UK people whose heavily-accented English sounded Greek to local English-speaking people?

Please keep on posting your England Diaries. I am not the only one, although I am undoubtedly the FIRST (big smile), who look forward most ardently to reading it.

[Maybe a possible setting in my next book/ (big grin)]


Mum