Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

01 January 2010

The past decade... where has it gone?

New day. New Year. New Decade. But same old me.

The past decade... where has it gone?
[Me from 15 years old - 25]

I could matter-of-factly state that the decade that has just gone is the highlight of my life so far. It started off really great when I won the Essay Writing Contest that I never intended to join in the first place. My English teacher told me I am to write an essay but only after she has already entered my name. It was the UPU International Letter Writing Contest. Sometimes I wish I made a copy of the essay I wrote but at that point in time I was a real mess as I was still recovering from my really rebellious streak - running away from home etc. It came as an absolute shock to me to be honest when my teacher told me she chose me amongst her students when she read about the said writing competition. I was barely attending my classes anymore and alas that year I dropped out of Holy Angel University. A few months later I received a letter of invitation to attend the awards ceremony in Manila for winning the UPU Int'l Letter Writing Contest. I wasn't that chuffed about the award to be honest, I was more excited about the 15,000 pesos that I won. Finally I can buy my own Nokia 3210 :-) A few days after the awarding ceremony, the jeepney I was on drove past my old High School and there was this huge banner that read: "Congratulations, Vivien Blones for winning the UPU...." I remember smiling but only at how ironic it was... I don't even go to that school anymore. And I wished for that split second that I never left it... I would have loved to be the Senior Cheerleader hahaha Now that would have pleased me more.

This decade has been an adventure for me. I got my first job in a small shopping centre as a sales assistant in a mobile phone shop which kind of ruined my interest in going back to school. It felt really good to earn my own money and meet friends who were older than me. I've always liked the company of older people because to me there was just nothing to learn from my fellow teenagers. I moved on to a bigger shopping centre after that, again as a sales assistant but this time at Picture City International. I made a lot of really fun-loving people there. I am still in touch with most of them, and they even attended my wedding.
There I met Larry who asked me to join a beauty contest on telly and Noel who asked me to do a modelling stint for him and David's Salon. I had so much fun at both events but the latter earned me a friend in Kaye whom I really shared some fantastic memories with.

In year 2002 I had the best job ever in Clarkton Hotel and Restaurant. It was an ordinary job otherwise, but since I got to work with my bestest friends ever - Sarah, Karen and Kaye - it was an absolute joyride.


{L-R: Karen, Kaye, Me, Sarah}

We all started as waitresses in the bar & restaurant. I remember having to go to work at 6AM for the breakfast buffet. A few weeks after, the hotel opened a Karaoke Lounge exclusive to the hotel guests and the manager put us four there as we were the most current hires. We worked in the evening but we had a ton of laughter as the karaoke lounge was empty most of the time so it was like we had our own private karaoke place. We damn sang our hearts out!
4ofus with Marty, our weekly band singer.

The past decade blessed all three of them with children that they adore so much.
All what did it bless me with? Well here is a summary:
The past decade I:
  • had my first boyfriend
  • traveled abroad on my own
  • got my first job
  • became independent of my parents!
  • traveled a lot with my mates to Boracay and Baguio
  • had my first mobile phone
  • had my first PC that was all mine to play my fave computer games on :D [shallow lol]
  • had pets!
  • had enough money to help out my family
  • helped my mum set up our own internet cafè
  • realised my love for cooking and baking!
  • realised how much I gave a toss about people's opinion of me
  • I gained two sets of friends: real and virtual
  • learned to drive
  • managed our family internet cafè where I met James one fateful internet day =>
Yep, this decade I met the man who loves me unconditionally! Got married this year and saw the other side of the world which was totally awesome! And of course with that comes a lot of firsts too.
The past decade has been an absolute blessing to me, I was given things I have not even prayed for. I must have done something right. I am thankful for all the friends and all the people who helped me live it up in the past decade and I am looking forward to the next decade with prayers that I will be strong enough to face new trials. I have only one wish for the new decade - I just wish for MORE TIME. More time with the people I love and people who genuinely care about me. If I have that I can overcome anything and I will be very happy indeed to share the next decade with them.

No comments: