Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

11 January 2010

Bribery in Marriage

James came home last night with a big box of my favourite chocolates. It’s really comforting to know that even after being married for 4 years, he has not lost his sweetness that I adore about him toDSC02997 begin with. Some people have told me many, many times that men change after the honeymoon stage but I always thought it was total rubbish. It’s rather sexist anyway… women can also change after the honeymoon stage of the marriage - but that is if they stop being each other’s best friends. All married couples should learn to ignore the piece of paper which states that they are Mr & Mrs X and instead think of the gift of love and friendship that they may lose if they take their partners for granted. Just because you are married doesn’t mean you have to stop being each other’s mate who will get drunk with the other if he/she loses his/her job, or that person who will laugh with each other just because.

In just a little over two weeks from now, james and i will be celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary and if I have learned anything very important during those years, it is the realisation that FRIENDSHIP is more important than marriage because a strong friendship makes a resilient couple and therefore a lasting marriage. When I’m old and grey, fat and ugly I would not be as attractive or interesting anymore, but I can rely on the fact that our friendship will keep us together and in-love. When all the adventure have come to pass and the excitement of the life we’ve made there won’t be much for us to do or to look forward to. Yes, getting and being old is a scary thought for me. But when love, sex and beer get all too young for us, James and I will be OK. And that is what strong friendship in marriage ensures every couple when you’re both too old and just about had enough of lifeCOMPANIONSHIP.

No comments: