Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

08 January 2010

The Case of the Lovely Blue Dress


After spending two weeks unread in my mailbox, I finally opened Blizzard's email with subject heading: Come back to Azeroth and get 7 free days now!
So the first free day began last night. I got bored the minute I logged on, spoke to a few people I know and used to play the game with, but that was about it. Of course I had a quick read on the patch notes but it's really nothing special.

Just in time for Wintergrasp Battle! I queued like before and got the prompt to join the battle some ten seconds later and what a small world! I saw a couple of people from my brother's old guild. And then something strange happened.

We were stood there with another random player and they started talking about arena and how good they are at it. And still wearing just my Lovely Blue Dress from a seasonal quest I did three years ago I pointed at a horde hovering above us on his flying mount and switching targets between me and my groupmates. One of them said "where's the horde?" So since we were in one party I pinged on my mini map, just as the horde was killing an AFK alliance stood at the WG gate. I still have my wardrobe enabled so I quickly put some gear on and from 10k my health points had gone up to 23k, but of course my health pool is still at 10k very slowly regenerating. I flew in the middle of my "pro arena mates" still talking about their "PRO-ness" in PvP stuff but completely ignoring me of course. A healing priest, a paladin and a random... I think it was a rogue. Oh I forgot to mention I marked the horde rogue when I was still in my blue dress! He was busy killing an AFK ally and I was feeling like giving WoW a chance to get just a little bit exciting.

It won't take the horde paladin to kill me in 3 hits... well he must really suck! This situation made me realise how realistic WOW is somewhat. You can have a lot of friends around you, and even have the best person to help you out with a certain problem but that doesn't mean they will help you. Only the ones that care for your welfare genuinely will actually do something - before you are even in an awkward or dangerous situation.

You see in that same situation as soon as I took off my blue dress and put on what gear I had in my inventory, James would have healed me to full - even as protection. And he would have spotted the horde before I did and he would have warned me because it's not rocket science - the enemy will always go for the weakest and in that instance, it was me in my lovely blues dress =>
That horde would not have landed anywhere near me and James. He is that ace.
He doesn't like PVPng as much as me. In fact he doesn't like it at all. But every time he is put in a PVP situation he does brilliant at it. How many times have we won a battle with horde when we were outnumbered, outgeared and outleveled? Like 9/10. My favourite epic open PVP battle is when The Burning Crusade came out and James and I were levelling in Hellfire: level 62 and 63 respectively. A level 75 horde mage attacked us and easily killed it. The body never res'd and suddenly there was this big thing hovering above us - a level 70 lock! After a 2 minute battle with the lock taking healthstone and potions we killed it. It was so funny because he bothered to log on his main to avenger the death of his alt but failed inn a very very epic way. And I think on that same day another 70 lock attacked me and James and with very little hp left, he ran to their camp. Chicken.

Anyway my point is that the enjoyment of playing WoW is also about who and what kind of people you play with. Yes I know it's a game but it reflects a bit of what you are. It's amazing how one person makes me feel safe both in Azeroth and Earth. And he always claim he sucks in PvP... He should hear these people who brags about their epic-ness in arena... and crapness everywhere else.

No comments: