Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

18 June 2008

England Diaries: Father's Day

So let me tell you about how much fun I had on Father's Day.

I have never really celebrated Father's Day but I remember I always gave me stepdad a card for the occassion. And I thought about how Maddie has mentioned to me quite a number of times how James and his dad always clash and argue about things, so I had a brilliant idea to make them spend time together, and what better timing than the third Sunday of June! Fortunately, every one (including me! :p) is not working on that particular Sunday, so I suggested a family picnic, and I volunteered to prepare all the food and drinks we are going to take with us - that is after the original plan of a garden picnic has been scrapped. Maddie and Chris thought that if we go out and take our food with us and have it in one of the picnic grounds, it would be a lot more fun, especially since they like going out so much. So I actually had to change the original menu of chicken fajitas, grilled chicken in bbq sauce with boiled potatoes and veg, chocolate and fruit muffins and fruit punch. The latter two remained the same, but I had to replace the rest with chicken and potato salad for sides and grilled chicken in bbq sauce sandwiches. We had it in a picnic table in Chatsworth, and I shared mine with a couple of Mallards. They even sat at my feet after the meal! I'm so glad they liked what I prepared. Maddie especially liked the fruit punch. I prepared it the night before so that it was nice and chilled for the picnic. It was brill.

After Chatsworth, since it was Father's Day, it was Chris' call and he wanted to see the gardens in Birchover. I have to say I am super amazed at how they know every species of plants and vegetables and flowers! Their knowledge of gardening is absolutely astonishing. I could never figure out how they differentiate as some plants really look similar to me. But I am an idiot with plants - I've lived in a terrace for 17 years of my life, so at least I have got an excuse... I have to ask my husband what his is...

Out of all the gardens we went to, my favourite is Garden #16 where this 14-year old Lab and his 70 years old owner lives. The dog is huge and so healthy for his age. Shame I couldn't say the same for the old geezer. But he said something that really made me smile when the dog starts biting me when I stopped patting it. He said "wanting attention is one thing, demanding it is another". How's that for word of wisdom for today?^_^


Apart from me being sick at the end of the day, it was a fun-filled day out. It's really charming to see James bond with his parents. On our way home, I remember Chris saying he is glad James has broken his record in a long time for being out of the house for more than 8 hours. I know it's a joke what means he is glad to have spent it with his son. I know he wants the best for his son because he achieved so much in his life, that he wants James to be better than him, as all parents in the world wants of their children. They always want their children to do better than them, and live a better life than they did.

No comments: