Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

27 December 2008



I had a very quiet Christmas this year, very different from what I am used to. There were no kids, no pets, no screams of panic in the kitchen. Liz came home for Christmas and we had a very generous xmas dinner which consisted of turkey with all the trimmings, lots of veg and of course, Christmas pudding (which I did not have any of because even back home I have not been so keen on it). There was champagne and wine but I don't drink. I can't stand the taste. The only champagne I ever liked was the one they served at my wedding reception in Holiday Inn. Shame I did not even know what brand of bubbly I had at my own wedding!

To be honest, it was just like any ordinary day. Nothing like me and my family in the Philippines have, it does not even come close! For some reason, I randomly realised that for 2-3 consecutive years, we always had sinigang on Christmas Day, even with lots of food sitting in the fridge left over from our Noche Buena the previous night. And I actually craved that on Boxing Day. But it's no fun cooking just for myself. In fact, I miss being cooked for. I love to cook but it's nice to have someone ask you what you want for lunch or dinner. Sometimes I miss Elena (our housekeeper back home) because out of everyone who worked for us, her cooking is what came close to my mother's cooking. This has to be the greyest and most boring Christmas I ever had. It's not just because I am far from my family, but we welcome Christmas with so much more fun and passion - and lots and lots of food! I guess I have to expect an equally (if not more) quiet New Year's Eve. I spent New Year's Eve on my own in 2004 in Bangkok, Thailand, and it was quiet but man was it so much fun having so much food (room service ftw!) in the hotel and lots of movies on the telly (pay-per-view). I couldn't say it was boring because I was filled with so much excitement then being in Thailand for the first time. I remember trying to get to the hotel bar for the New Year countdown but I realised people were in big groups and I was the only one on my own and everyone was talking to me in Thai and they did not seem to understand when I said "I am not bloody Thai, English please", they continued to babble on in Thai. So I just headed back to my hotel room and stuffed myself! I expect my New Year's Eve to be as quiet as quiet can be. When I have kids, I will teach and show them the Filipino ways. Whether or not their dad agrees. I will speak to them in Tagalog so James does not understand what the hell we are on about. Ha ha. Of course they will probably show some resistance if not lots. But heck, nothing beats Paskong Pinoy!

No comments: