Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

16 August 2008

The spirit that will guard the Allen Garden

It has been a week but it still haunts me until now. I'm always paranoid when I hear even the slightest noise against the windows, or the patio door.
James and I were having a lovely Sunday meal when we heard a loud bang on the patio door, it made us jump and look. At first I thought it was a football that the kids somehow managed to kick over the hedge that far into the garden. But unfortunately it was not a football, it was a pigeon what crashed into the patio door, a deadly crash indeed. I could never stand seeing animals get hurt and it made me sick to see the pigeon on the grass bed twitch for the last time and it was devastating to see its head sink into its body, and I knew it had breathe it's last. But I asked James to have a check on it if it's still alive perhaps we could nurse it better. Unfortunately, I was right and after we've finished our dinner (it had taken us quite a bit to finish our meal since seeing something like that is pretty shocking it took our appetites away), James said he's going to bury the pigeon and I went with him and plucked a purple flower from its lush bush in the garden, and buried it with the pigeon. I thought it was really sweet of James to do that, and not just chuck the carcass into the compost skip. He really is such a sensitive person and I adore him for having such high respect for all things living - in the case of the pigeon, well, was living.
James and I have agreed that we will have blinds or some sort of decorative curtains when we have our own place, to prevent this kind of incident. I don't want my house to be a death trap to birds. They really are lovely creatures, they sing for you, they even eat your stale bread!
It was really shocking, that. One minute the pigeon was flying so free, taking on the skies in all its glory and in a split second, it was all over. Coincidentally, the night before, I had a really scary dream. I was sat in the same chair as I was whilst eating Sunday dinner when the incident happened, and there were a group of people around me in the same table and a bloke who held a gun and pointed it at my head and fired it just as James entered the room. I actually felt it and when I dropped to the floor, I felt my head go all soft and then I woke up. Of course when I told James this, he said there is no connection to my dream and the pigeon's death, neither of us are superstitious, but I can't help thinking what if it was some sort of message being sent to me? Ridiculous, really.

No comments: