Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

08 July 2008

More stories from the Asian Store


It's five to five here in the afternoon and I just had one of the cupcakes I baked from a couple of days ago. I've just got home from work and I'm not really tired because James was with me all day at work. You won't find another husband like him, and I think he can sense when I am feeling the lowest and he comes to my rescue even if it's just doing the little things. He's doing a late shift today so from the Asian Store, we hopped on the same coach and he's gone straight to work, whilst I got off at the top of the road.

James only had to be in the store for ten minutes to witness what he only hears from my stories. There are not price stickers on a lot of the stuff, she has no price list, no stock control, and she doesn't write down how much money is in the till at the start of the day. You never know if she turns around and say she is missing £20 and I won't be able to defend myself. And she rings me on the day she needs me, waking both James and I at 6:30 in the morning! Worst part is, I always have to ask for my day's wage even though she was the one who told me she will hand me the cash at the end of every day I work. James really dislike the fact that I have to almost beg for my money which is mine because I worked hard for it. If she can't afford to pay me, then she will have to find someone or do it herself. The store is not busy at all, she can very well mind it on her own save perhaps on days she has to go somewhere important. She never answers the phone either, she tells me to answer it and tell every single caller that she isn't there. There also had been a couple of instance where this man who I found out later supplies 70% of stuff in the shop had been yelling at her demanding to get paid. Apparently she owes more than £2,000! And the latest is it got broke into Saturday night, so she needed to go to the police station today trying to get the kids who smashed the door to the shop to nick bottles of San Miguel Beer. What a laugh! I wish that my son will never turn into suck a wanker and a loser - if I ever have one. If it's a daughter I hope she is clever enough to know better than be friends or even acquaintance with losers as such. So James and Maddie have both advised that I should not hang around in the shop with Emy much longer. She is one of them people who just gives a bad aura. Maybe it's because she slags off almost every one she has introduced to me, even though I don't really care about the whatabouts of the people who live here. It's simply none of my business, and I got my own life to mind, thankyouverymuch.
This Filipina approached James and I in the shop today. We've both met her in the CFA Independence Day Celebration and she is nice from what I've gathered so far. Her name is Beth, been here in England for 25 of her 60 years. She told me to take some college courses and do volunteer works to keep me busy so I don't miss home too much. She said I am still young and I should study and don't settle with "just OK". So after she left, James went to Conexions and got leaflets of short courses being offered and we will talk about it tomorrow and perhaps ask his mum about the idea and see what she says. James and I need to sit this one down if we are going anywhere - sooner, rather than later.

This Filipina called Erla was in the shop today and she was speaking to me in English because earlier today, she rang and Emy told me to pick it up and tell whoever is calling that she isn't here. And when I spoke in Tagalog to Emy, she jumped and laughed and said "Tagalog pala? Kala ko English ka! Boyfriend mo? (she gestures at James's direction)" I said no, he is my husband. And she laughed away. I have to say, her laugh is contagious. I am like a rare commodity here with my husband being two years younger than I. Every one else's is at least 11 years older than they are, others even twice their senior. She invited James and I to her husband's 52nd birthday party on Saturday, like we were longtime mates. I guess it's what Filipinos abroad are like to make themselves feel less lonely here. James and I can't make it anyway. Chris and Maddie returns home on Sunday from their wee holiday in Northern Ireland and I plan on spending the whole Saturday tidying the whole house and maybe make chocolate cheesecake. The last time I baked one, they seemed to like it. And if they are home early enough on Sunday night, I will offer to make tea.
I need to iron James's work shirts so I have to stop writing for now. Today has been cloudy and windy and chilly so I am hoping for a better weather tomorrow because I got sheets to wash, not to mention a load of our coloured clothes. I never realise how much laundry two people produce in 5 days! Probably because I never had to do any laundry until I got here in England. Ah well, let's not go there again xx

18:19
I just been next door to Nora who altered my size 6 skirt for me. I wasn't gonna go in but they asked me to stay for a little chat. I only popped in to bring them some cupcakes and butter shortcakes I baked the day before because Maddie told me Nora and her husband liked homemade buns and cakes. I also handed them a bunch of lettuce from the veggie plot in the garden. They are a really nice couple, and I like seeing couples in their late 60's still happy together. It makes me look forward to the future with my husband more than I already do. You can have a hundred children, but at the end of the day, they will grow up sooner than you like, and it's only you and your other half.


No comments: